Tuesday, April 19, 2011

TED Talk #3: "Dan Pink on the surprising science of motivation"

                Daniel Pink’s TED Talk about the things that motivate us and our society was very revolutionary to the greater populous. Pink said that the old reward and punishment way of thinking is no longer, nor has it ever been when it comes to creativity, effective. He addresses this pressing issue in a way that connected to a larger audience. He was able have humor simply thrown into the talk and then continue rolling along with the talk. When he was discussing this issue, he would quickly become very passionate and loud then make a statement and all of a sudden draw back to a softer, more timid voice. I t was as if he wanted to make the atmosphere more intimate. This allowed me to better understand that if you are motivated by others or tangible rewards, then that the task becomes work and therefore creates a mindset that it is not as enjoyable. He hinted that in the future, a right-brained, creative society, we will not be able to use the old way of thinking about motivation; we will need a reformation. I was able to relate to what Pink was saying very easily. He was personal but not obviously so.
As I was watching, I was thinking about all the daily tasks I do that I either used to enjoy or currently do. I came across the similarity that completely agrees with what Pink is saying; I enjoy the things I do because no one told me I have to do them. I sing in choir; no one pays me or grades me on it (yes, there is a grade for the class but it is not reflective of performance). I play tennis; my parents did not even completely approve of the idea and therefore I receive no money from them. I sing because I like making music and I play tennis because I can get outside and stay physically fit. No one is paying me or telling me I must do this “or else.” He also touched that this is why students do not typically enjoy learning about school. Teachers drill math into us, students, from the time we walk into kindergarten to the day we graduate high school (and hopefully college). Yet most of the arts classes are optional and one needs very little credits to graduate; yet there are still plenty of students still wanting those classes. If these likes and dislikes are drilled into us, then we will not be able to continue expanding our knowledge because we all lose interest. The world will come to a creative and technological stand still. However, some businesses and schools are changing and meeting the needs of the students and of the future. This talk allows us to look at the things that fuel our world, see the flaws and make that adjustment for a better future.

No comments:

Post a Comment